Spartans of Promise
The Spartans of Promise is an annual award recognizing UNCG seniors who have demonstrated exceptional academic and service accomplishments. Supported each year by the 50th Reunion class and the UNCG Alumni Association, it creates a unique connection between our newest generation of alumni and the members of the Vanguard. Up to ten seniors are honored each year. As Spartans of Promise, the award recipients will be recognized at the Alumni of Distinction Award Dinner and invited to participate in UNCG Alumni Association events throughout the year.
Spartans of Promise must demonstrate:
- Strong involvement in campus activities
- Proven leadership in service activities
- Passion for UNCG
- A minimum 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 90 credit hours, at least 30 of which are completed at UNCG
- Qualifying students must complete the Spartans of Promise Application Form, by September 1, 2015, including:
– An essay (500 word maximum) stating a.) what it would mean to you to be a UNCG Spartan of Promise and b.) your plans after graduation. The essay should be typed in a Microsoft Word document, which you will upload as part of your application.
– A letter of recommendation from a UNCG faculty or staff member, which should include how long the faculty or staff member has known the student, the capacity in which they know each other, and why the student should be a Spartan of Promise. The letter should also be typed in a Microsoft Word document, which you (the student) will again upload as part of your application.
- Applicants will be notified by September 23 if chosen as a semi-finalist. If selected as a semi-finalist, applicants must be available for a 20 minute interview on either September 28 or September 29, 2015.
- Award winners will be notified by September 30, and recognized at the Alumni of Distinction Award Dinner on October 15, 2015. Additionally, award winners are encouraged to attend Founders Day on October 5, 2015.